Tuesday, March 22, 2005

 

Woman Receives $16.7 Million For Being Stupid

Patricia Henley was diagnosed with lung cancer in 1998 and proceeded to sue Philip Morris, manufacturer of the Marlboro cigarettes she had been smoking for more than 30 years. Surprisingly, she won her case and was awarded $51.5 million. Philip Morris appealed, and they lost again--but this time the award was down to $10.5 million, plus $6.2 million in interest. Even barring everything we now know about the effects of cigarette smoking, how stupid do you have to be to continuously ingest smoke and not think it might possibly be bad for you? Source

Comments:
It amazes me every time.

I wonder if I could sue BMW when I drive at 145 mph into a tree? I mean, it doesn't say I SHOULDN'T, anywhere in the literature so how should I know it may be dangerous?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?